Tuesday, November 07, 2006

TEACH OR DISCUSS?

A lecturer, I have been for the past 6 years. Am I still passionate in the profession that have been supporting my family and I? Am I facing an erected wall or are my methods a relic to students today?

I hate to teach!!!

I love to share and discuss!!!

Teaching is a one way stream of information going top, from the teacher down to the students. I have never really found this method of teaching effective as there is a certain condescending effect towards the students. My belief has always been when a person steps into an institution of higher learning, the person should be considered an adult and should be rightly treated like one. He/She should be responsible for their own success or failure.

Sharing my knowledge to the students has always been my modus operandi as a lecturer. I would prefer to see students as equals rather than small kids. Discussions give me a certain insights and understanding into students' lifestyles today. Try, I have to always create a two way communication between the students and I. When I share, I learn in return. That has always been a major factor and fuel for me in this profession.

Lately, I'm facing students that are close to being catatonic. Quite a big number but so few that would be generous to share their opinions in class. I want students that are able to think for themselves and defend their thoughts if they find that my ideas are in contradiction to theirs. I love to see them strive harder in challenging the current state of minds. I love to debate and argue constructively on subjects with them. They should not be afraid of me. I have never given them that sense of penalizing their marks if they go against me, in fact I love it if they challenge me. I need that stimulation to fire up that passion in sharing my knowledge.

Let us track back to the beginning, I have come to believe that everything has a cycle to life. There are semesters where I get the most productive students and there semesters where I get none at all. The passion is still there but more and more, I want to be able to produce and direct my own films. I would love to share my knowledge again when I'm in my twilight years but for now, I need to fulfill my lifelong dream to be involved in the film industry when I still have the stamina to do it. It will remain a dream for now until somebody recognizes the potentiality of my works.

To the young minds of today, to be able to challenge constructively will only bring many benefits to you. Keep yourselves informed with the affairs of the world and you will be rewarded in tokens of knowledge. You can only be truly free if you are well-informed. PEACE.....

6 Comments:

At 9:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel that what you said is justified. Though I’m a student of the current semester in you class I do admit most of the students don’t participate in class so as myself. But I want to point out that not all students are perfect some people such as me need time to digest and process what you teach in class, you cant expect these students to come out with criticism spontaneously.

 
At 3:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

understand how u felt. it is always a fact that students nowadays are verbal enough (at times, verbally abusive too) but it is ironic when it comes to the "share ur opinion" session, these ppl seem to juz shy away from contributing ideas to the rest. some ppl are shy as they dont like to give wrong answers in front of everyone as they feel they will lose face, others feel it seems like they are showing off to others, like as though they know a lot. but some ppl rather remain silent and listen to others and see if their friends are plainly crapping or stating facts. it all depends on people. but as an individual, we cannot change others but sit down and pray that the generations to come could evolve into students that u wish for. but for now on, we are the "guinea pigs" to ur style of teaching (or discussing?) but nonetheless, i wish u good luck with this generation of Malaysians as they are a little bit boring *to be honest*...

 
At 2:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Dare to be different'
-no matter whether ur opinions are right or wrong, speaking out actually teaches you to be a better person, builds ur self-esteem and communication skills. It also widens ur horizon; learning ur mistake if you speak out wrongly, or getting a confirmation for it. Speak out, dare to be different. Don't be a follower, but be a leader. Be someone unique and not just sit there and sulk, moan and think negatively about others. Don't care what others have to say about u, you're someone special in the eyes of God, so just be urself. Unleash those words that want to come out from your mind and thoughts so badly.. don't just keep it inside, coz when ure older, u'll start regretting that you did not speak out.. Use this time to shine ur light, b4 it gets dim... whatever it is, dare to be different..

 
At 10:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree wit anonymous...sometimes i do feel tat way. i prefer listening to speaking as we're trained from young to listen rather than speak up (some sort of crap like tat)

 
At 3:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

long time since u posted a new blog...anymore sarcastic comments? wad u said in this post is absolutely correct... ppl n students nowadays tend to sit down and shut up instead of stand up and speak up... wher is the life is these ppl? i understand that most chinese are brought up that way and they refuse to change althou this new era needs us to stand up and speak up... wel... i hope ur quest of changing us works...looking foward to c a new breed of students that are not so 'kayu'... peace...

-Benji-

 
At 11:59 PM , Blogger Long Bean said...

I look forward to attending your class in the next semester, Mr. Patrick.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home