Tuesday, October 10, 2006

APPRECIATION & REFLECTION

Time becomes an express locomotive once you turned 21. Time accelerates further into a bullet train once you're married and have children. Lo and behold you're right smack in your mid life. Can you imagine to be 38? Another 12 years to go, you will be half a century old. Have you achieved what you have set out to conquer? And what are you conquering? Happy? Melancholic? Regrets? Money? Success?

Am I in control of my own life? My destiny? Or am I a slave and servant to time, destiny and fate? People say that I think a lot. Some would also say that a lot of my thoughts are not productive, in a sense I am not making money out of my thoughts. Does everything have to revolve around money? To most Chinese, yes. What do we really achieve after we accumulate all that wealth? We die and leave the inheritance to our children. What then? The legacy will be a cliche amongst the Chinese where usually the wealth will diminish by the 3rd generation. Is that what I really want? I'll be lying if I say that I don't have to have money to live but do I have to toil my life away in search of that wealth?

I consider myself wealthy now not in a financial sense but in my journey of life and thoughts. As I get older, I tend to appreciate life more. By appreciating life, I reflect upon my life experience and weigh on what I have done, be it good, bad, right, wrong, I have that chance to improve on what I am and who I am.

Thank you to all the people around me(My parents, my wife(Jennifer Liew), my children (Ryan Lim and Aidan Lim), my films, my mentors (Jedediah Horner, Patrick Tam, Ronnie Chan, Dr. Anuar Nor Arai and Hassan Muthalib) and my friends (Brando Lee, Sidney Tan, Ravina, Johan, Indra, Deanna Yusuf and a host of others)) that have defined the person that I am of today and tomorrow.

I appreciate everyday that I am living and my hope is to be able to share it with all the people that I know and the people that I have yet to meet and the films that I have also yet to make.

Last but not least, I am older, wiser(hopefully) and also a student always. Always a student of knowledge, philosophy and the teacher of all, TIME.

6 Comments:

At 5:15 PM , Blogger ZB said...

AIZ... PATRICK!!! you'r so thin last time!!!

 
At 8:32 PM , Blogger  said...

Money might not be everything, but money is the only thing.
P/S: Esther, not just thin actually.

 
At 8:23 PM , Blogger ZB said...

what do you mean not just thin? there are other things too?

 
At 10:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

for that 100%... mayb u r the 0.01% that thinks money is not ur issue of life and another 10% out there who r XTREMELY rich (e.g bill gates, paris hilton) also thinks that money is not their issue too... for the rest 89.99% of humans out there, money is a MAJOR issue...well majority wins... so money is imporatant... Nway... money or no money... i think in our journey of life, we should bear this with us "for every blessing we thank, for every mistake we learn"... world peace

 
At 8:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, money is important... to buy our basic necessities... but money can kill as well... it is not solely our life... usually, the rich suffers more than the poor.. the latter are happy to just have enough money to buy food, and more happy to share and be with the whole family. Whereas the rich work and work to be affluent, but deep down their hearts, they are a depressed lot as they don't spend time with their family often, and sometimes come home to find their family apart.. money is just part of life... life is all about making the best out of everything we have, living life to the fullest, and not just work 24/7 to get the best in life later... ive heard of this cliche, " you work 24/7 to be rich, but u end up using that wealth to treat ur health". and i would say that it is certainly true..and yeah, i agree with Mr.Patrick... the value of money cannot be compared to that the value of life...

 
At 3:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

let's talk about freewill vs. money, shall we? =)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home