Tuesday, November 29, 2005

CHOICE - Part 2

Director's notes - Part 2
Style
Firstly, I wanted to have a documentary-like style to it. Since I am approaching it from an outline only, the dialogues between the characters were going to be improvised all the way and the style would compliment the spontaneity. To accomplish that, I decided that the best choice of style was to refer to the “dogma”. I followed a few key points but not all of the ten rules under the “DOGMA 95”and they are hand held, real locations, and existing lights from the locations.


It was essential that the cameras be liberated from the confines of pan and tilt on a tripod. They needed to be able to move freely and follow the conversation. The other source that I referred to unconsciously was John Cassavetes’ approach and recently I read up on him again and his style struck a chord in the realization of CHOICE.

I wanted the cameramen to feel whatever the characters were feeling and project their feelings into handling the cameras and hopefully, conceptually it can transcend whatever emotions across to the audience. It only worked in a few spots. Only one of them understood what I wanted to achieve with that approach. The handheld approach also gives a psychological mirror to all the characters, the instability of their minds about identity and gender.

The jump cut editing style that I employed in CHOICE reflects the dysfunctional of the characters. I refuse the fades and dissolves as not to paint pretty pictures in the subject matters that were brought out.
to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home